TTCT Course 2023
A reminder that the Closing Date for application to the TTCT Course 2023 (Sunday 23 to Saturday 29 July) is Friday, March 31st 2023.
Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann’s TTCT Teacher Training Course has over 800 graduates throughout Ireland and overseas. The course which has been in existence since 1980 has been specifically designed to equip teachers of Irish traditional music to teach more effectively in a wide variety of community settings. This residential course is highly subscribed and applications are received from candidates both nationally and internationally.
Amongst the subject areas included in this intensive course are:
· Irish traditional music and traditional music education and pedagogy
· Instrument methodology
· Musical literacy and analysis
· General principles of education, teaching and transmission
· Teaching and learning styles
· Class management & preparation
· Special Educational Needs and Irish Traditional Music
· Slow Airs
· SCT as a teaching/learning framework and slow airs as part of the traditional repository
· CCÉ Child Protection Guidelines
· Planning for the CCÉ Branch Music Education Programme & Core Branch Repertoire
· Teaching practice sessions which are mentored and comprise a significant part of the course
Within the practical teaching practice sessions which are monitored, the ratio of assessors/tutors to candidate allows for very significant levels of staff support.
TTCT graduates have gone on to: Adjudicate at Fleadhanna Cheoil at County, Provincial and All-Ireland level, Tutor at Scoil Éigse and Perform on Comhaltas Tours.
The TTCT course is ideal for:
· Musicians who, having mastered their instrument would like to continue their traditional music development.
· Musicians who want to develop their music-teaching skills.
· Musicians who would look like to study specific areas of traditional music, such as slow airs and accompaniment.
· An applicant who specialises in one of the following; fiddle/flute/whistle/concertina/button accordion/piano accordion/harp/banjo/uilleann pipes.
The following applicant requirements have been specified by the TTCT:
· Traditional musicians with attested skills as a teacher
· Who display a competent standard of technique and style with a minimum of 100 hours of teaching experience (from beginners to advanced levels)
· Must be 20 years of age or over at the time of taking the course.
The teaching experience can include hours of mentored and supported teaching at Branch level and all other relevant formal and informal teaching contex
Queries in relation to eligibility are forwarded to the Director of the TTCT Majella Barley for consideration at email@example.com
Successful applicants who have received a Distinction at Grade-8 of the SCT Traditional Irish Music Examinations will not be required to Audition.
Course fee is €650, which includes onsite food and board for the full course week. (Comhairle na Mumhan CCÉ will be making part-scholarships available to Munster applicants towards the course fees)
Comhairle na Mumhan CCE are once again offering two Part-Scholarships (worth €325) to music teachers who are attending this educational course.
The application is open to current members of Comhaltas in Munster. All applications for consideration must firstly have obtained their place in this course. Recipients will be selected by a draw at the September Comhairle na Mumhan Meeting.
Closing date for Part Scholarship Application: 3rd September, 2022
TTCT Preparatory Course
The purpose of a Preparatory Teaching Course is to give musicians the opportunity to explore their skills as aspiring teachers. This course would be the next step in the Comhaltas Education Programme and would bridge the gap between the SCT and the TTCT. While a candidate gains their valuable teaching experience necessary for entrance to the TTCT, this course gives the teacher guidelines and the incentive to further enhance their potential. This one day course is aimed at potential teachers from 16 years of age and up. No previous teaching experience is required. This course also provides an incentive for current TTCT teachers to refresh their knowledge and skills if they so wish.
The Course covers Methodology, Common Repertoire Types, Child Protection, SCT as a teaching tool, Teaching Practice/Demonstration and concludes with Reflection and Discussion. Closing Date for Applications is August 31st 2022.
Date: Sunday 18th September 2022
Time: 10.00am – 5.00pm.
Course Fee: €75